Why volunteer with Back2Bikes?
- Give back to the community – help fellow Victorians in need
- Gain new skills and strengthen existing ones
- Participate in recycling and the circular economy
- Meet new people
- It’s rewarding and brings happiness to others
Key information about volunteering with us.
- Volunteering shifts are available 10am to 4pm Monday to Saturday and 5/6pm to 9pm Monday and Wednesday.
- Workshop shifts are in-person at 525 Williamstown Rd, Port Melbourne, VIC 3207. Other shifts can be performed remotely.
- Volunteers are expected to attend broadly weekly; at least whilst becoming established as part of our team.
- Taking on new volunteers involves a lot of time and attention from more experienced volunteers. We expect new volunteers to foresee being committed to Back2Bikes for at least 3 months.
- The minimum age for volunteers is 18 years.
- Please feel free to drop by and look at the workshop and how our volunteers work. However, all volunteer applications and induction bookings are via the contact form at the bottom of this web page.
(as of September 2023)
This is a half day or full day or evening role and no previous experience is required.
Your level of experience will be assessed by the workshop manager and duties allocated on that basis. Training is on the job; you’ll also be encouraged to refer to internet resources such as www.sheldonbrown.com, Park Tool videos and various other internet sites that have tips and suggestions. The training is very much hands on, we will provide guidance as you need it. Soon you’ll be helping other volunteers with your new knowledge.
All mechanics should wear clothes and closed footwear suitable for a workshop. Long hair must be tied back.
Duties can include the following :-
- Stripping bikes for parts.
- Sorting parts
- Refurbishing bicycles for sale or donation
- Servicing bicycles
Workshop Customer Service
This position is available as a half or full day pre-scheduled role on daytime shifts.
Applicants are expected to either a) have a fair bit of bicycle knowledge OR b) have prior experience in dealing with customers. We welcome applicants from either background.
The Workshop Customer Service person will work closely with the workshop manager throughout the day.
Duties can include the following:-
- Sales of refurbished bicycles and parts.
- Answering phone calls and emails.
- Booking in bikes to be serviced.
- Communicating with clients once services are completed.
- Data entry for bike servicing.
- Advertising bikes on online marketplaces
- Answering general customer enquiries and questions.
- Volunteer welcome and induction program.
- Organising pick up of donated bikes.
Public Relations/ Media Co-ordinator
This position is not on site and can be performed remotely.
Duties will include:
- Contact local and metropolitan newspapers, radio and TV and specialist cycling magazines and websites with stories that lift general awareness of Back2Bikes.
- Publicise any special events, upcoming classes and achievements at Back2Bikes
- Regularly update social media posts and increase engagement and traffic to Back2Bikes website.
- Update and refresh website.
This position is on an ‘as needed’ basis. Times and days for pickups are negotiable.
Applicants will supply their own car with a trailer, van or Ute.
- Pickup donated bicycles from apartment blocks, police pounds, etc.
- Delivery of bicycles donated by Back2Bikes to partner social agencies.
If any of these positions are of interest, either
- Call the workshop to ask any questions; or
- Fill in the contact form below when you’re ready to apply. (Only this form leads to registration, calling the workshop is not an application in itself.)